Musings Home

The world through my looking glass.


  

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Religion vs Science, Again

For those of you who don't know this, I am an atheist. I do not believe in God, Goddess, or other such higher beings who place themselve above us. This is not to say that there are no higher beings than humans, but that I do not believe in the all knowing, all seeing, omnipotent being espoused by so many religions today. I have this opinion about polytheistic religions as well.

Given that opinion, I find it offensive that a segment of our society is trying to foist on us the idea of Intelligent Design. While many on the ID bandwagon are saying that this is an alternative view which need to be taught, they are trying to replace the teachings of evolution with Intelligent Design.

Now Intelligent Design deems that the state of the world is today is too orderly and logical not to have been designed by a rational higher being such as God. Please. I'd sooner accept that aliens came down to earth and terraformed the planet.

They like to say that Evolution is only a theory. That it hasn't been proven or accepted as fact. What rock have they been under? Evolution is the cornerstone of modern biology. We've seen evolution in action, studied it in fact.

Origins of Species was published 140 years ago! And the Supreme Court ruled against mandating creationism 15 years ago! But here they come again.

Of course, if they do win, we know that they'll be teaching only one version of creationism. Or do we think that they'd be so open minded as to allow the other stories of creation being taught in the classroom? After all, those are other valid viewpoints, believed in and followed by millions (if not billions) of people. What about the Hindus or the Native Americans? Do they get a say in this?

For a good article regarding the assault on Evolution, check out the Wired Magazine article from December. It'll tell you how this is actually an old argument (from the 1800's) , where the battles are taking place and what's at stake.

Wired Magazine >>

1 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm... (preaching to the choir time.)

Gravity is only a theory. We know things fall, but we don't really know how it works.

As for evolution... I still support Flying Spaghetti Monsterism! (http://www.venganza.org/).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home