Betrayed Again!
I'm really tired of the Democrats sounding the trumpet call to defend America, only to broker deals with the enemy. The enemy here are the Senators who want to put extremist judges in a life long appointment and threaten to go "Nuclear" if they don't get their way.I was ready to stand firm and fight these nominees, when 7 Democrats and 7 Republicans broker a deal to let 3 of these extremist through to a Yea/Nay vote.
First, I'd remind them that if Senator Frist and his cohorts decided to go "Nuclear", the onus of this debacle would be on their shoulders. Frist was the one who threatened it, and by golly, he'd be the one (along with the Republicans) to pay for it when election time comes around again. Remember, most Americans are still Against the Filibuster Rule Change.
Second, by holding firm, the Democrats could have shown the public that they are men/women of their words. That they will fight the difficult fights to uphold what they believe to be the moral and ethic standards in the Senate.
Third, their actions today in no way prevents the Right from going "Nuclear" at a future date. They've only pacified the bully til the next time they can't get something they want.
So why did they do it? Frankly I'm puzzled.
I have to say that I am very disappointed by the Democrats who went with this deal. This includes Senator Hilary Clinton (D-NY). This is one of those issues where we should have stood firm, and as a prominent Democrat, I was looking to her to do just that.
Thankfully, we have stalwart Senators such as John Kerry, Ted Kennedy and Mark Dayton. These fine Democrats voted no to Cloture and to stand firm with 15 other Democrats.
THE VOTE ROLL CALL >>
AP NEWS STORY >>
Current Air Quality Index Level





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home