Musings Home

The world through my looking glass.


  

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Just Great!

Yesterday, I get a call from my wife to let me know that our son Theo had the Chicken Pox. Its tax day and our taxes haven't been done, she has a fractured toe from a previous mishap, and as it turns out, I never had the Chicken Pox before, and I have the little bumps on my arm (I had thought that they were bug bites or some allergic reaction).

Well, I go see a doctor about it. We go to Now Care in Roseville. The receptionist puts us in a room to keep us from infecting other patients. Then when the nurse comes, we get a "oh, its you" from her. She proceeds to give the preliminaries and roughly checks my temperature with one of those ear scopes. Now that I am utterly impressed by her bad attitude, I return to rushing the tax forms as we wait for the doctor.

He tells us that essentially there's not much he can do other than treat the symptoms. After some prodding from my wife (yeah Cynthia!) he finally saids that he can prescribe some anti-viral medication to help lessen the severity, as well as prescribe a hydrocortisone lotion to help with the itch.

Cynthia, who already had the Chicken Pox, looked like the one who was going to escape this. We were wrong. Apparently we've been stricken with a different strain of the virus. Yes, there are more than one strain of the Chicken Pox virus. So, if you've had Chicken Pox before, you can still get it.

Lovely.

Well, now she has it, my daughter has it. Everyone in the family has it except for Max and Casey (being Cockatiels, I don't think the virus jumps species).

So here we are itching and trying not to go crazy with the fatigue and itching.

Oh well. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

If you want to know more about this other strain of Chicken Pox, you can go HERE.

1 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you and Cyn are doing well! I'm sure the kids are fine, as it always seems that the earlier you catch CP the easier it goes. I caught it around 11, I think, and I was fine, but my Mom had it in her 30's and I have heard about it ever since....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home